Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Let The Parade Of Delicacies Begin

Tonight we began our game of My Life with Master in earnest. As I described last week, in this particular instance the Master is an exiled chef seeking his revenge upon the nobles who shunned him. The session began with the Master announcing to the Minions that, due to the incompetence of the recently dispatched fourth member of their company, the Prince of Moravia would be dining with the Master sooner than he had intended. It was thus imperative that, in order to avoid being strung up by their own entrails as Sebastian had been, they work quickly and efficiently to gather the required ingredients. This session was relatively laid back, with little pressure being applied directly to the Minions. This allowed the players to get a sense for how the system worked and for all of us to develop a feel for the structure and flow of the scenes, something that is very important for My Life with Master. Each of the players ended up taking a slightly different approach to their characters based on those first few scenes. Roy became very fond of invoking Desperation, Christina developed enough Self-Loathing to cause a Horror Revealed scene, and Ted ended up wallowing in Weariness. I started to ratchet things up a bit at the very end of the session, when I ordered Ted's character to cut out his own tongue (he failed), and sent Roy's Minion out to bring back the foot of a priest, who happens to be someone's Connection. It'll be interesting to see the tension level go up next week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Czege said...

I started to ratchet things up a bit at the very end of the session, when I ordered Ted's character to cut out his own tongue...

Very inspired! Y'know, in all the times I've run and demoed the game I've never commanded self-mutilation. Gotta remember it for next time...

Paul

8:50 AM  
Blogger Paul Tevis said...

Very inspired! Y'know, in all the times I've run and demoed the game I've never commanded self-mutilation. Gotta remember it for next time...

He was talking back too much. That's not a desirable quality in a Minion. It scared me a little how quickly the obvious solution came to me.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home