Monday, February 26, 2007

A Little Behind, Part 1

The last ten days have been really good for me gaming-wise and not so good for me blogging-wise. I'll try to catch up, covering board games first and roleplaying in the next post.

OrcCon was a blast, and despite my convention commitments I still managed to get in a few games. On Friday afternoon I played a prototype dice game with the convention's Guest of Honor, Reiner Knizia. It was fun but a little long, and the post-game discussion of how to make it shorter was interesting. Friday evening I hooked up with Don and Derek from Pulp Gamer to play a quick game of Mission: Red Planet in the bar. I won, but I probably shouldn't have. I say this for two reasons. First, I didn't play very well, and second, due to confusing language in the rules, we scored the game wrong. I think I still would have won without the error, but it would have been much closer. Anyway, it was fun and extremely light, but I could see people having problems with the luck factor.

Saturday I managed to fit in a game of Memoir '44 while I minded the RPG signup table. I squeaked out a narrow victory in the Sainte Mere-Eglise scenario on both sides, which always makes me feel good. I still love this game, especially for the excitement-to-time ratio.

Sunday I convinced Doug Sun (whom I had met at GenCon SoCal and played Wellington with) that he needed to teach me how to play Combat Commander: Europe. He agreed. This was my first look at Combat Commander, but the similarity to ASL Starter Kit #1 helped me pick it up quickly. Sadly, I think that similarity might prevent me from picking it up, as I don't know if Ted (my usual wargame opponent) will want to play it instead of ASL. Regardless, I liked it, and I look forward to playing more of it at the GMT warehouse in April.

Monday I participated in two more playtests with Dr. Knizia, this time for a game that's pretty far along in development. I enjoyed it, and I'll be curious to see what the final scoring mechanism ends up looking like. Overall, I had a great time at OrcCon, and I can't wait until Gamex in May.

Since then I've done a little bit more gaming. Gwen and I tried out Battle Line last night, as we had just gotten it in a trade. It turned out to be much more "thinky" than I expected. It was ok, but certainly not as addictive as Lost Cities. (Then again, what is?)

Finally, OrcCon made me remember how much I want to play more Memoir '44, so I brought it in to work to play with Jason, my frequent lunchtime opponent. We wanted something a little lighter than Paths of Glory, and Memoir '44 fit the bill nicely. We played both sides of the Pegasus Bridge scenario, and he seemed to like it, so I expect I'll be playing more of that in the coming weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home