Tuesday, May 29, 2007

As Usual, Tiring But Awesome

I’m finally back from Gamex, which took place down in Los Angeles this weekend. Although I’m still involved with running the RPG department, I was much more hands-off during this show, as I had a great staff to handle operations. This meant I got to play games, which was important.

First, I played in the second session of an on-going Lord of the Rings game using HeroQuest for its mechanics. It continues to rock, although this definitely felt like a bridge session in the campaign. We had plenty of room to be indecisive, and we didn’t accomplish anything big (aside from being smacked around by the Witch-King of Angmar). I got be angsty and broody, which was fun. Even more fun was being goaded out of it by Andrew’s character. I can’t wait to see what happens next time.

Second, I finally got to play Sorcerer, specifically Sorcerer & Sword. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while, as we’re looking at playing The Dictionary of Mu this summer, and I wanted some experience with the system first. Jesse (the GM) really understands Sorcerer, so it was a great learning experience. I think I got a pretty good handle on the way Sorcerer conflicts work, which is very different than just about anything I’ve played before, so that was definitely useful. It was also a ton of fun. I’ve discovered that I really enjoying playing big, dramatic characters, so when the opportunity to play the half-demon son of a nature goddess whose human lover had just been killed and who had a Humanity score of 1, I jumped at the chance. There are people who claim that if you stand up while you’re roleplaying that you’re LARPing. I went way beyond that. It was awesome.

And speaking of awesome, I got to help playtest Joshua BishopRoby’s next game, Sons of Liberty. Any game in which you get to say, “Alexander Hamilton dons his power armor,” is worth playing. Josh and I talked more about it on what will soon be out as episode 90 of Have Games, Will Travel. We sat down on Monday and did a pretty good wrap-up of the con. And I already can’t wait for the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home