Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Think Less, Do More

(The subject of this post is stolen from Mike Mearls, and it pretty accurately sums up the direction I'm heading in my gaming.)

Last night's Primetime Adventures session was, in my mind, the best yet. I think there were three things that made it awesome. First, we're in the payoff section of the game. The groundwork has already been laid, and now we're reaping what we've sown. (Reviewing the unresolved plotlines at the beginning certainly helped.) Second, it was a Spotlight episode for Christina's character, and we really took advantage of that. Even scenes that she wasn't in were about her, and that helped tie the episode together into a nice, tight bundle. (Way to go, Ted and Roy, for making that happen.) Third, we made things happen. We never shied away from conflict, and we didn't worry about what the choices we made would do to the overall game. We just played our characters honestly and to the hilt, and we trusted that we'd figure out later how it would work out. We were helped, of course, by the end of the season approaching, but it can still be a hard thing to do. Fortunately, we seem to have gotten pretty good at it.

This makes me realize an odd thing: I'm good at starting and ending games, but middles give me trouble. Clearly, I need to play without middles. I should play every session like it's both the first and last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home