Monday, October 29, 2007

Back To Basics

After finishing up my second PBeM game of Hammer of the Scots on Saturday (and this time, it was the Scots who were hammered), Gwen and I decided to have some folks over to play a few games Sunday night. (Normally, Sunday evenings are reserved for football, but there wasn't a late NFL game this week.)

We started off with Doge, which I got Gwen for her birthday after we played it with Doug and Shelley this summer. I'll admit that for me, a little of sheen has gone off of it, but I still like it. I think I need to pay more attention at where people need to go and actually go there, rather than just looking for good deals. It looks like it's not up on BSW any more. Anyone know where I can play it online?

We followed that up with Attika, which I haven't played in a while. As is consistent with my experience, our four-player game ended with a temple connection victory. I like this one, but I played a fair amount of it as a two-player game when we first got it, and four-player strategy is very different (even more so than Carcassonne).

Finally, we broke out Blokus for a quick nightcap. It was easily the most painful game of it I've played, as all of us made life difficult for each other. James ended up with somewhere around thirty squares left, I had eighteen, and Mike had sixteen. Gwen, of course, ended with four. I realized afterward, as I was logging my plays on the Geek, that I'd rated this game an eight. That's wrong. It's a ten. I love playing it, I'll never turn down a game, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger linnaeus said...

Doge was never on BSW. As far as I know, the only "ex"-BSW games are

1. Acquire (from BSW's prehistory)
2. Alhambra
3. Puerto Rico

2:26 PM  
Blogger Paul Tevis said...

Interesting. I could swear the box says "Play it on BSW."

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home