Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Braaaaaaains

I'm pretty sure my actual exposure to zombie movies is limited to parodies and homages (i.e. Shaun of the Dead and Fido). But that's enough for me to enjoy Last Night on Earth, because that's what the game is.

Jeff Tidball turned me on to it with his comments on GamePlayWright, but it's been between print runs for a while. This weekend we were up in Monterey for a wedding, and I noticed the hotel we were staying it was right across the street from store called The Game Habitat. We arrived too early to check in, so when we decided to wander around downtown for a while, I suggested we check the store out. As luck would have it, they'd just gotten a copy in stock. I valiantly held off purchasing for several hours, but like any zombie movie protagonist, I eventually succumbed to the inevitable.

Since buying it on Saturday, I've gotten in two plays of it, and I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I'm going to talk more about it on the show, but thus far my opinion is that it fixes most of the problems I have with Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill. It reminds me most, actually, of Habro's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I love to an irrational extent. Expect to see more of this one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew J. Bonham said...

Despite its many, many flaws, I love Betrayal. I'd love to see a game with a similar feel, but without said flaws. Will Last Night on Earth satisfy? And if so... let's play!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Paul Tevis said...

I feel like most of Betrayal's flaws are in production, not design, which means I'm pretty forgiving of it. (Though there are clearly some scenarios where no one thought through how unfun the endgame could be.) And yes, I believe you will like Last Night on Earth.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home